Friday, January 7, 2011

Have You Been Despised and Rejected?

Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World, the King of Kings and the Almighty God- "He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him."  Isaiah 53:3   Jesus is Perfect and yet He is rejected.

As I type this verse I can not help but feel pain in my heart for what our precious Savior endured while He walked on the earth and even still today as He is seated on the Throne in heaven.  He came just for our benefit, yet, what He encountered was rejection, sorrow and grief.  He had a longing to have fellowship with His creation, yet, they despised Him.  Do you ever feel like that by others?  Times when you have gone into a situation to have fellowship or to minister to others and they have rejected you and some have even despised you for it?  I know I have, in fact, I think 'rejected' could be added to my middle name because it has been a common theme for my life.  There have been times when I purposefully went into a situation to minister to someone, yet, they rejected me. Along with their rejection came my tears and my heartache and my questions to God.

Perhaps you have experienced an ache in your heart because you have been rejected by your spouse, family member, friend, coworker or neighbor.  Because of this, you have become acquainted with grief just like Jesus. We can't help but ask ourselves what have we done to cause the rejection.

Jesus was blameless and yet he was still despised, but we are not always blameless when someone rejects us. Sometimes we do offend others and they lash out at us for good reasons, yet, other times our heart and motives are pure but others still reject us for the choices we make for our families or the things we do or the convictions that we have or for the God we serve.
 
We may be despised by many, but never by Jesus because He will ALWAYS love us.  "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?"  Romans 8:35

The sting of rejection never feels good whether we have experienced it for the first time or the 100th time.  Try to find joy as you cling to this scripture. "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  Matthew 5:10  This has become the verse that I hold on to when I am not received by others.

Although we would all like to be loved and received by many that will not always the case.  However, you and I are loved by the ONE that matters the most.  "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9
 
Jesus has called us out of darkness so praise His name for this even while you are being rejected and despised.  Remember, you may be persecuted, by you are not forsaken!

No comments: