Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Does God Know What He is Doing?

In the midst of homeschooling your children, tending to the responsibilities of the household, being a helper to your husband and dealing with relationships, when things go awry in your life do you ever wonder what is God doing?  Honestly, I know I have, many times in fact!
I often wonder where God is when I am teaching my child the same concept for what seems like the 100th time.  I wonder where God is when I am faced with persecution from family and friends as I choose to stand for my Christian beliefs as I live them out by teaching my children at home.  Then there are times I find my mind drifting to the place of its flesh when I think perhaps the Lord has forsaken me when the financial winds blow through my life like a hurricane that never seems to end.   Does God hear his daughter cry out to Him in the midst of my brokenness and pain?  Have you ever had those thoughts; times when you have thought, what is God doing in your life?
Years ago when I was a new believer in Christ, I came across the following verse in my Bible and I will have to admit that in my lack of biblical and spiritual understanding, I honestly thought this was the most ridiculous verse I ever read:  “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”  James 1:2-5 How in the world do you count a trial all joy, I wondered?  Not only did I wonder, but I scoffed at the verse.  Little did I know that 14 years later I would fully appreciate the depths of this verse and the wonderful wisdom that comes from it.  However, it has been a long process of grumbling and complaining on my part along the way!  In fact, here is another one of my not so favorite verses, “Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. Philippians 2:14-16 Ouch!  Oh, how I fall so short.  But once again in God’s divine plan, He has a purpose for this verse in our lives as well.  If you read past the command, it says the reason why we should not complain and dispute; it is so we can be a beautiful example of a living testimony pointing others to Christ even in the midst of a trial.  In a nutshell, our lights are shining for Jesus when we do not complain.  This is a basic principle that we should teach our children as well.
Raising our children to be godly men and women and providing them with the tools they will need to function in society is a very difficult task.  It requires us to be the godly example first.  Now, it is much easier for me to be a godly example to my children when life is smooth sailing, but when tough times come, then that’s a different story altogether.  That is when my true character comes out!
When we are faced with trials, be it a struggling learner, character issues, tensions in relationships, financial difficulties, ongoing illnesses, persecutions, etc. we often see the trial in our lives as a negative thing rather than a positive one.  Human nature of course!  We don’t like pain, we want the offending issue to be removed from our lives as soon as possible so we will no longer be hindered to do what we want to do. I know in my mind I often think the ’trial’ that I am experiencing is causing me to lack something.  For example, for years it was my ongoing illnesses, I felt if I was healthy I could be more productive with my family and also in ministry.  I thought being more productive would be a good thing, yet I was lacking in the ability to do so, therefore, I saw my trial as something that was a deficit in my life rather than a benefit to my character.
Yet, God’s Word is clear, the trial was producing in me something that would make me perfect and complete, lacking nothing!   James 1:4 I could not see that at the time.  I could not see that the Lord was desiring of me to be God-reliant rather than self-sufficient.  God desires that of you as well.  He knows what struggles we will need to go through so we will be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. He knows what our children need to see us go through so their faith can be strengthened and so their Christian walk can start to develop or deepen depending on their age because at some point in their lives they will face trials too.  Will they consider it all joy when they face them?
So, do you feel forsaken because of what you are experiencing in life?  Do you feel ‘behind’ in homeschooling because of some recent life struggles?  Difficult times in parenting and shaping your children’s character?  Frustrations with teaching your children?  Are you cut out for this thing called, ‘homeschooling’?  The list can go on and on about what you may be dealing with right now but hold fast to the Truth of our Great Redeemer’s words, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5
So, does God know what He is doing?  Absolutely!  He is sovereign and He reigns on high!  He is making sure you are perfect and complete, lacking nothing! Be filled with joy today and teach your children to do the same!

No comments: