Sunday, May 2, 2010

If Mary and Martha Were Homeschool Moms


Think about it for a moment. Now according to the Word of God, there was no mention of husbands nor children, so I think it is safe to assume that Mary and Martha were not married and did not have any kids.  So let’s pretend for a moment each were married and they had children they homeschooled. 
            What do you think that would look like?  We know from Scripture that Martha was busy doing and she was so demanding that she even demanded Jesus to do something!  That’s pretty brazen.  “But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me."  Luke 10:40
            We know that Mary was not busy ‘doing’.  When Jesus showed up at her house, she did not rush around picking things up to make the home look presentable.  She did the exact opposite.  She sat down!  She sat at the feet of Jesus so she could learn from Him and be filled by Him.  And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet.  Luke 10:39  Doesn’t that sound so refreshing for a moment, to just be still and sit.  “But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."  Luke 10:42
            How would Martha look as a homeschool mom?  Think about how she went about her day.  Busy, always doing.  Demanding of others.  Yikes!  That sounds familiar.
Picture Mary as a homeschool mom. Peaceful and calm, patient, loving, refreshed and wise with godly understanding.  She chose “that good part”.  Those words were spoken by Jesus, the King of Kings about Mary. That is the kind of mother I wish to be.  Yet, that is not always how I respond to my children. 
My first thought is to rush through our learning ‘to do’ list so I can check it off and move on to more important things.  I ask myself what are those “more important things” other than teaching my children the Word of God and discipling them.  (Yes, I know I have other responsibilities, but I am not referring to those times.)  I have realized that I have become like Martha as I teach my children, when in my heart I want to be like Mary, peaceful and calm.  I want to slow down and choose “that good part” for my children.  I want to pour things of eternity into their hearts and I want them to be filled with Jesus.  I don’t want to become anxious thinking that I have not done enough for them, that’s probably how Martha would have responded.  “And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things.”  Luke 10:41  
May we be like Mary, choosing “that good part” when we teach, disciple and spend time with our children.                                    

No comments: